Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Stopping Intolerance in Tennessee

As I was preparing to leave the house to go to work, I ran across this post from a girl who regularly posts in one of my favorite facebook communities.  It stopped me in my tracks.
I ask everyone to check this out. This is my home state, and I believe this bill will negativly effect the LGBT youth in TN. This will also prevent any LBGT facing discrimination to seek a supportive teacher for information. The bill has already been passed by the senate and the K-12 subcommittee. Give 'em call? 
It grabbed my attention because I love the things she posts in this particular community, so I always pay attention when I see her name.  It grabbed my attention because I've already written about Stacey Campfield's myopic bill that he's trying to push through legislation in Tennessee.  And, I've posted links to a petition put in place to get this bill killed.  This particular bill, dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" bill will have a devastating effect on the LGBT students in their school system, in a state that has already had 2 LGBT teen suicides since early December.  So, I will post the link to the petition again and hope that every single person who reads this article will sign it.  Remember Power in Numbers?  We can change things.

By clicking the link in her post, "check this out", you will see a list of phone numbers to call and voice your complaints and opinions.  Wouldn't it be great to find out that their switchboards were overloaded with incoming calls on this matter!?  Whatever it takes.

Call it a "Call To Action"; call it "getting involved".  Whatever.  I called it zero tolerance for intolerance and hatred.  This is "bullying" at a high level.  We can stop it if we all work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment