Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Jamie Hubley

You know, 40 short days ago, I had no idea in the world who Jamie Hubley was.  In the days since then, however, his name, his voice, and even his spectacularly handsome image is known to people all around the globe.  On October 14th, Jamie ended his young life.  Being 15 years old and openly gay had its price as Jamie was yet another victim of homophobic bullying.  Being 15 years old, openly gay, enduring bullying, and having clinical depression on top of that proved to be too much weight to carry.  In his short time here, Jamie was already making a major impact on people's lives.  According to his father, in a recorded interview, Jamie just loved people and wanted to make a difference.  According to Jamie, in his now-defunct tumblr blog, "I just want to feel special to someone".  Today, the things he wished for and wanted are coming to fruition:  he is making a difference in people's lives around the globe; he is very special in the hearts of thousands and, perhaps, over a million people from that same geographic location.  To be sure, as of this day, I can still say I never "knew" him.  I can say, however that he has had a profound impact on my life.  See, Jamie Hubley is why you're reading this.  Jamie Hubley gave me my voice.  As a singer/songwriter by profession, and as a gay man by nature, I'd ALWAYS taken the issue of gay teen suicide very seriously.  I'd been trying to bring awareness to the issue for a couple decades.  I'd written about it in a few of my songs.  It wasn't enough.  I needed to get more deeply involved in helping to bring about change.  This very blog is in Jamie's honor.

Today, November 23rd, 2011 is Jamie's sweet 16th birthday.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, JAMIE!!!  You are loved by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment